Comments: Synod question on Task Groups and their membership

Thank you, that's very useful.

As a viewer on the live feed, I found this session unnecessarily obscure. I know Synod operates in a 'Parliamentary' manner, but watching people stand up to say the number of their question and their respondent say they had given the answer in writing was particularly unhelpful. Since people - our representatives - had gone to the trouble of writing questions and giving answers, it would have been good to hear them.

Of course there was a certain sudoku-like interest in trying to work out the original question from the supplementaries, but when there weren't any supplementaries I was completely lost!

Posted by Pam Smith at Saturday, 14 February 2015 at 3:15pm GMT

The original questions and answers were available on the Church of England website in advance of the session. I printed them out so I could follow the discussion.

Posted by Frances Hiller at Saturday, 14 February 2015 at 4:32pm GMT

Not a biblical pattern of relating and doing business, though, is it ?

Posted by Laurie at Saturday, 14 February 2015 at 6:43pm GMT

Good foresight on your part, Frances Hiller, but I didn't have that presence of mind and couldn't find them while it was on, so I was, as I said, disadvantaged in terms of following what was happening.

I'm suggesting that if Synod wants to engage people - which I assume it does, as the live stream gives very good access to the debates - it needs to take that into account when planning how it conducts its business. Of course it may be forced to conduct itself exactly like Parliament by legislation rather than by choice - I have no idea.

Posted by Pam Smith at Saturday, 14 February 2015 at 6:55pm GMT

"The Archbishop of Canterbury to reply
A I agree that an 80/20 gender balance in most contexts isn’t good enough."

A gift of the understatement, has +++Justin.

Posted by JCF at Saturday, 14 February 2015 at 8:00pm GMT

You do have to know where to find the answers, and the refrain that the answer has been printed wastes time. But it was a great improvement, not least because the text of the answers was available to those following online. Not so long ago the answers were given without the questions being published, so it was impossible for those of us following online to know what the question was. It should not, though, be impossible for GS broadcasting inc to provide a split screen with the question and answer on one side and the live feed on the other. I think that might help us all.

Posted by Mark Bennet at Saturday, 14 February 2015 at 9:15pm GMT

I'm a member of then GS Business Committee and I'm grateful for these comments. When we trialled this new form of question time, we didn't really consider the needs of those following on the live stream. Our prime concern was making questions less formulaic and more interactive among members. But I will take these comments into our review of this experiment when we next meet..

Posted by Simon Butler at Sunday, 15 February 2015 at 5:10pm GMT

Thank you, Simon Butler, I found the question time really encouraging and anything that can be done to make it more understandable will make it even more so, for me at least.

I don't mind having to find something online to refer to, but not having realised the questions were coming up, I was't able to locate the written Q & A among all the other online papers.

Posted by Pam Smith at Wednesday, 18 February 2015 at 11:25pm GMT