Comments: Bishop of Maidstone

Since the C of E is now handing out à la carte bishoprics to different doctrinal camps, when can we look forward to Jeffrey John's consecration to the "see of Rievaulx"?

Posted by Geoff McLarney at Wednesday, 30 September 2015 at 9:32pm BST

So if you look at the Belief section you will see a pretty clear statement of subordinationism. Is anyone going to question the fitness of this bishop to be a guardian of the faith given that this is outwith Chalcedonian orthodoxy?

There is also a total misreading of Genesis 1 and 2 and of the Hebrew word 'ezer.

Posted by Charles Read at Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 12:13am BST

Reading parts of this website soon after reading the SSWSH statement is enough to cause severe indigestion. I will concede that both groups are trying to be gracious and charitable in how they express their arguments, but both leave me with a fundamental dilemma.
I have come to describe my own theological position as "Broadstream Anglican Inclusiveness". But how can I, whose whole orientation is to be inclusive (as I believe God to be), include you, if your carefully expressed position excludes me?
Well, I will continue to draw on whatever sources of grace and charity are available, and I will not willingly exclude you, but if you choose to exclude yourself, there is not a lot I can do.

Posted by Dr Edward Prebble at Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 12:59am BST

NOLI ME TANGERE

Posted by Father David at Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 4:59am BST

I see from his website that the Bishop of Maidstone is now to attend the House of Bishops as well as the College. Perhaps this was inevitable, but it still grates. It would be good to know how that has happened: are the House of Bishops Standing Orders such that they can invite anyone whenever they please? I wonder what it would take for the House to say 'No' to anyone?

Posted by Hilary Cotton at Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 8:54am BST

Translation?

Posted by John at Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 10:21am BST

I am delighted to see this statement in respect of the five guiding princples:

"What is being required is assent, not agreement. As Stephen Hofmeyer QC has put it, assenting merely requires acknowledgement of what the Church of England has done, as an entity. It does not require the individual to agree personally with the commitment or the decision."

It's exactly what many of us have been saying about the 39 articles and various other formularies that we have been accused of ignoring in the past - and particularly accused, I note, by conservative evangelicals.

Thank you Rod!

Posted by Andrew Godsall at Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 10:33am BST

Diabolism is the act of splintering, insinuating. The C of E seems to be diabolical..

Posted by Fr William at Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 11:22am BST

The words the risen Lord said to Mary of Magdala on the first glorious Easter Morn - "Do Not Touch Me".

Posted by Father David at Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 12:21pm BST

Its good to think there is a least now one bishop who will keep to the Anglican tradition of not wearing a mitre.

Posted by robert ian williams at Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 4:30pm BST

Father David,

My little joke, not a serious request.

Posted by John at Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 8:22pm BST

John, quite so, but isn't it marvellous to think that the Lord was a Classical scholar and fluent in the Latin tongue?

Posted by Father David at Friday, 2 October 2015 at 4:47am BST

Nice to have fun, even on TA.

Posted by John at Friday, 2 October 2015 at 9:06am BST

The answer to Hilary Cotton's question must surely be a resounding yes. After all, eight women in senior positions were invited to meetings of the House of Bishops, and they weren't even bishops at the time!!!

Posted by Benedict at Friday, 2 October 2015 at 9:34pm BST

Does anyone know if the Bishop of Maidstone had a woman bishop laying on hands?

Posted by Barry at Wednesday, 7 October 2015 at 12:23pm BST

Of course not. It's also why he was consecrated with two men and not with the two women who were in the offing and were done at St Paul's instead.

Posted by Pete Broadbent at Wednesday, 7 October 2015 at 4:33pm BST