Comments: opinion

I don't know where else to say this, and it's completely off topic, but I think regular contributors here might want to know that "John" Moles who commented here faithfully for many years died suddenly on 4 October.

Posted by Erika Baker at Saturday, 17 October 2015 at 8:07pm BST

The Two Andrews, in their article "If we can't make up, can we still kiss", seems to me to be a rather conservative view on this possibility - of some sort of amicable way of agreeing to disagree on what is seen, by both of them, as a fundamental breakdown in relationships in the Communion.

Despite the quasi-hopeful title of their article, I can't help thinking that they really question the ABC's hint of the possibility of any realistic 'togetherness' after the Primates' Meeting, that might allow all of us to co-exist, without interference from one another on issues of gender and sexuality.

Most Anglicans, I believe, would like there to be some sort of fraternal relationship coming out of the Meeting, but with articles like this one, there seems to be real doubt on the side of the conservatives, who might like to sever themselves on the basis that they believe they are the real heirs of the Anglican Genius - while yet being willing to forsake one of its abiding tenets: 'Unity in diversity'. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Sunday, 18 October 2015 at 2:44am BST

Thank you for the info, Erika. I will pray for John. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

Posted by Cynthia at Sunday, 18 October 2015 at 5:40am BST

Andrew Lightbown has written a reflection on the article by the two Andrews, here

Posted by Simon Sarmiento at Sunday, 18 October 2015 at 7:21am BST

I am sorry to hear of the sudden death of John Moles, we crossed swords occasionally on this Blog but he was always fair and courteous with those with whom he disagreed. October 4th, a lovely day on which to be called home - the Feast Day of St. Francis of Assisi. I shall miss his perceptive TA Comments and will light a candle for him before Choral Evensong. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

Posted by Father David at Sunday, 18 October 2015 at 11:45am BST

"Moving into separate bedrooms": if you've ever been at that stage in a relationship (I have), you'll know it's THE WORST. The "gangrenous limb" stage. For the sake of survival (sanity), it's got to be sawn off (separated).

***

The cozy TEC/ACNA relationship in Virginia: Bishop Johnston does realize there are *children* being raised in ACNA congregations? And some of those children will be gay? Does that weigh on Bishop Johnston's conscience, as he's sharing a beer with (providing literal cover for) those gay children's tormentor?

Posted by JCF at Sunday, 18 October 2015 at 11:52am BST

It seems to me that there are far too many Archdeacons on the newly elected General Synod. If my Maths is correct the dioceses are represented by 27 in total - 18 men and 9 women. This seems to me to greatly reduce the time they can devote to being "missional" let alone pastoral. If there were less Venerables on the national Synod then much more time could be devoted to producing solutions to the vast number of rural churches with less than 10 people worshipping therein Sunday by Sunday.

Posted by Father David at Sunday, 18 October 2015 at 4:08pm BST

Thanks so much for the link to Philip DeVaul's article. I especially appreciated his strong conclusion.

Posted by Rod Gillis at Sunday, 18 October 2015 at 6:41pm BST

The two Andrews forgot to mention that when Bishop Johnson failed repent of his "heresies," Dr. Baucum's ACNA bishop made him terminate the friendship.
The odds of "good disagreement" are poor when one side continues to insist that we must agree before we can talk.

Posted by Steve Lusk at Monday, 19 October 2015 at 1:57am BST