Comments: Preparing the way

As ever with David Rowett, makes a lot of sense and is an insightful way to draw on the tradition.

Posted by Pluralist at Thursday, 1 December 2016 at 3:44pm GMT

Amen. Well said.

Posted by Tim Chesterton at Thursday, 1 December 2016 at 8:30pm GMT

Unlike David Rowett, I live in a place where, if I walk out my front door, I am confronted by a hilly landscape. And there are significant mountains not too far away. This article was delightful to read, even though the message is a sombre one. Restoring those who are homeless, whether individuals or families close by, or refugees in a far-flung part of the world is a challenge and a privilege. We are all on a journey and watching out for our fellow travellers somehow makes the journey less fraught.

Posted by Pam at Thursday, 1 December 2016 at 8:58pm GMT

I am very proud to have a priest of David's thoughtfulness in my diocese,
+Christopher Lincoln:

Posted by Bishop of Lincoln at Friday, 2 December 2016 at 10:40am GMT

Love that post, Pam, the article itself, and this thread.

Jesus stepped aside and wouldn't pass by the outsider.

We need to watch out for each other.

I'm reminded of a guy who was homeless, who I sometimes talked to on the street. I'd previously mentioned I was a nurse. One day, just after dark , he shouts out 'Susie' from across the road, and virtually gets mown down by oncoming traffic as he rushes over to me.

I make a move to my pocket to give him something, but the whole thing is turned on its head. He is carrying a huge bag of buns, pain au raisin, cakes that some bakery has just given him at closing time.

"Give these to your patients. They need them more than me!"

Yes, we need to watch out for each other. That day he was watching out for me.

Posted by Susannah Clark at Friday, 2 December 2016 at 11:05am GMT

"I’ve always been faintly depressed by the vision in Isaiah 40 of every valley being raised up and every mountain lowered."
A couple of years in an infantry battalion is a sure cure for that problem.

Posted by Steve Lusk at Saturday, 3 December 2016 at 12:50am GMT