Comments: Easter in the office

Ha, bureaucracy rules, ok.
I've just spent Easter in Canberra, our national capital. I noticed on Good Friday that there were cars parked in the staff carpark of the Treasury building, a place where I worked. Overtime was lucrative.

Posted by Pam at Sunday, 16 April 2017 at 7:45am BST

Ha, ha, very good. I wonder how they are going to deal with a dozen or so locals who appear to be drunk before 9 o'clock in the morning.

Posted by Richard Ashby at Sunday, 16 April 2017 at 8:31am BST

Wonderful! What a great start to Easter Sunday!

Posted by Janet Fife at Sunday, 16 April 2017 at 9:12am BST

Thank you for that and very much in tune with the message from the pope this Easter.

'Christians should put their faith in a God who “upsets all the rules and offers new possibilities” instead of resigning themselves to a world of injustice paralysed by corruption and faceless bureaucracies'

We always felt the Diocesan Board of Finance and the Diocesan Advisory Body were suspect.

Be it known that I've just replaced a screw in the knee board of our church organ without a faculty. The relief organist nearly got kneecapped during the first hymn so I felt it needed doing on Health and Safety grounds.

In the process I left the church door open and ramblers came in to have a look round while I massacred a few tunes to find the duff keys. I got to talk to people about the meaning and message of Easter without using an authorized form of words.

I await the wrath of whoever oversees such things imminently!!

Posted by Lavinia Nelder at Sunday, 16 April 2017 at 1:19pm BST

At what point does humour become anti-Semitism and does this cross the line? How would we feel if the Society posted something similar about women not being capable of understanding Jesus’s teaching but being good at cleaning up the mess to his body afterwards?

It is undeniably humourous and the standard of writing is high, but I am left feeling it shows a certain lapse in judgement.

Posted by Kate at Sunday, 16 April 2017 at 4:46pm BST

Nice. Another modern day parable.

Χριστός ανέστη!

Posted by Cynthia at Sunday, 16 April 2017 at 7:02pm BST

I've always thought this Bishop a good and nice man. But this contribution? Oh dear! Cringe.

Posted by Neil at Sunday, 16 April 2017 at 10:37pm BST

Rim-SHOT!

Happy Easter y'all: contact the Health Dept, he is Risen Indeed!

Posted by JCF at Monday, 17 April 2017 at 5:13am BST

Well it made my Easter - and I did need cheering up after a depressing display of apathy from far too many people. I loved it. Can't see how it's anti-Semitic. It's just a send up of the bureaucratic tangles we get ourselves into. I trust the Bishop's sermons are equally entertaining.

Posted by Liz Brown at Monday, 17 April 2017 at 11:58am BST

I like it.

The Gospels meet J.K Rowling.

Posted by Jeremy at Monday, 17 April 2017 at 12:26pm BST

Amusing! I took it apart in search of the hint of anti-Semitism mentioned above, but failed to find it.

Posted by Kathryn at Monday, 17 April 2017 at 6:20pm BST

A delight. 'Anti-semitic' - only if 'The Pirates of Penzance' demeans Mebyon Kernow, don't you think?

Posted by David Rowett at Monday, 17 April 2017 at 7:14pm BST

If it's Anti-Semitism you are looking for then what about the third Collect in the BCP for Good Friday "Have mercy upon all Jews, Turks, Infidels and Hereticks, and take from them all ignorance, hardness of heart, and contempt of thy Word".
The Bishop of Manchester (or, alternatively, is he The Bishop to the Sunday programme on the Home Service?) is a great communicator of the Gospel. He was also very good and full of Easter enthusiasm on Easter Day's "Songs of Praise" with that marvellous open-air presentation of the Passion and Easter story in the heart of Manchester bringing the Greatest Story Ever Told to the people of Cottonopolis. But, O dear me - how few traditional Easter hymns were included in that particular edition. The item on the bell-ringing Julie MacDonnell was truly inspirational.

Posted by Father David at Tuesday, 18 April 2017 at 6:15am BST

"I took it apart in search of the hint of anti-Semitism mentioned above, but failed to find it."

The above is a representative comment found here.

The best test is to ask someone who is Jewish. The history of Christians and other non-Jews deciding on what is, or is not, antisemitic, is rather troubling.

Also, note the preferred spelling.

Posted by Rod Gillis at Wednesday, 19 April 2017 at 2:17am BST