Comments: Truro Institute: A School of Peace and Reconciliation

The Archbishop of Canterbury may be happy with the developments at Truro, but the Archbishop of the ACNA is not, go here:

Posted by jnwall at Wednesday, 26 April 2017 at 7:58pm BST

If you read the whole article, John, you will see that Foley Beach is quoted in full.

Posted by Simon Sarmiento at Wednesday, 26 April 2017 at 10:35pm BST

Intentional Schism is such a horrid activity

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Wednesday, 26 April 2017 at 10:36pm BST

"No wild beasts are such dangerous enemies to man as Christians are to one another." (Ammianus Marcellinus, Roman History 22.5)

Posted by Steve Lusk at Wednesday, 26 April 2017 at 11:52pm BST

My bad for not clicking on the last link, and not following all the way to the bottom.

Posted by jnwall at Thursday, 27 April 2017 at 2:21am BST

Remind me, why was this obnoxious schismatic invited to a primates' meeting.

Posted by Jo at Thursday, 27 April 2017 at 6:17am BST

More fundamentalist-like nonsense from Foley Beach. I too wonder why this obnoxious schismatic was invited to a primates' meeting.

Kurt Hill
Brooklyn, NY

Posted by Kurt Hill at Thursday, 27 April 2017 at 2:55pm BST

The town of Folly Beach is a town located on historic Folly Island, off the coast of South Carolina, near Charleston, in the southern United States.

Every time I hear or read of the Rt Rev. Beach, I think of that town. I try not to, but I do.

Posted by jnwall at Thursday, 27 April 2017 at 7:29pm BST

Can someone with local knowledge provide us interested outsiders with some information as to how this initiative came to be and/or what is really going on here?
It does seem extraordinary (highly commendable, yes, but still strange)that a church that has set itself outside the Episcopal Church would subsequently enter into a partnership with them in direct defiance of their Bishop and Archbishop.
How should we read between the lines?

Posted by Edward Prebble at Thursday, 27 April 2017 at 9:39pm BST

A further update from Folly Beach--er, I mean--Foley Beach: http://www.anglicandoma.org/uploads/BishopGuernseyLetter4-25-17.pdf

Kurt Hill
Brooklyn, NY

Posted by Kurt Hill at Friday, 28 April 2017 at 3:15pm BST

Kurt, that letter has already been linked to, in the article.

Posted by Simon Sarmiento at Friday, 28 April 2017 at 3:57pm BST

"Can someone with local knowledge..."

Well, I'm from Northern Virginia where Truro is located (Fairfax, Virginia). It is a suburb of Washington DC, which is not irrelevant. The suburbs can take on the flavor of the administration in Washington and when the brouhaha happened there, GW Bush was in office. Apparently Alberto Gonzales, a legal counsel who helped set out a legal justification for torture, went to Truro.

The brouhaha, of course, is that after the consecration of +Gene Robinson (openly gay bishop of New Hampshire), Truro was one of the churches that decided that TEC had veered from orthodoxy. So they felt justified in breaking with TEC while keeping the property. There was a lawsuit. TEC won. But the bishops of the Diocese of Virginia have tried to set a course of reconciliation. So the TEC bishops worked out a way for Truro to stay in the church, but are sharing the campus and working together on this peace and reconciliation institute.

The answer to the question about why "a church that has set itself outside the Episcopal Church would subsequently enter into a partnership with them in direct defiance of their Bishop and Archbishop" could be answered in one or both of two ways:
1. The TEC Diocese of Virginia is their landlord; and/or
2. They believe in peace and reconciliation.

Take your pick. What I mostly know is that when I was commuting back to Virginia to take care of my elderly and dying parents, I no longer had a church community for support, as I'm LGBTQI, and the closest churches (including Truro), had morphed to the "dark side."

Interestingly, one of those churches came back to TEC. I believe it had a lot to do with the changeover in administrations from Bush (and his neocons) to Obama. I could be wrong. There might be folks with a closer knowledge of events and a stronger grip on the legal elements.

Posted by Cynthia at Saturday, 29 April 2017 at 6:15pm BST

As a member the Diocese of Virginia who writes a monthly column for my parish newsletter on these goings on in the Anglican Communion, I can add a little more context.

As Cynthia notes, Truro was one of the churches that attempted to leave TEC and take the property with it. Its rector at the time was Martyn Minns. That name may be familiar to Thinking Anglican readers, as he later was posted to London by GAFCON as part of its efforts to do to the COE what it had done to TEC.

After Shannon Johnston was consecrated as bishop of the diocese, he began meeting and praying privately with the new rector of Truro Anglican, Tory Baucum. When word of this got out, GAFCON was not happy and ordered Rev. Baucum to cease and desist.

Meanwhile, in January of 2014, the Archbishop of Canterbury named Rev. Baucum as one of the Six Preachers of Canterbury Cathedral. The announcement at the time specifically pointed at reconciliation. Theological liberals in America were not happy.

Now it appears Rev. Baucom and Bp. Shannon have continued to work quietly together anyway.

So to recap: Martyn Minns leads Truro out of TEC. Truro and other churches lose property fight but TEC lets Truro continue to use the property for the time being. New rector prays secretly with new Diocese of Virgina bishop. Rev. Minns becomes a GAFCON bishop and is eventually sent to London. ABC names Rev. Baucum to prestigious preaching position. Rev. Baucum and Truro Vestry decide the cause of peace and reconciliation is worth talking to the Diocese of Virginia and its bishop. Agreement is reached that certainly looks like a win for all concerned, or at least, a win for all those not at one extreme or the other.

Posted by Don Brownlee at Monday, 1 May 2017 at 11:14pm BST

Thank you Don, for bringing more context to the Truro situation.

For the record, I am on one of the extremes and I rejoice at this agreement. It brings me hope. If my extreme is "radical inclusion," then it has to incorporate conservatives. The extreme, and the tension, is that I don't believe that following Jesus means exerting power to discriminate against LGBTQI people and women.

Posted by Cynthia at Tuesday, 2 May 2017 at 5:36pm BST

Many thanks, Cynthia and Don for your helpful background information. It will certainly guide my thoughts and prayers.

I seem to recall quite a few years ago when these separations (and roughly similar ones in Canada) occurred, and the first legal cases were decided predictably in TEC's favour, that I advocated on these pages a generous accommodation in respect of property where this seemed justified. My suggestions were met with a barrage of criticism, with Neville Chamberlain's name being invoked. It is gratifying now to see the outcome of a gracious approach by +Shannon. I think that if I were in Tory Baucum's situation,I would defy my Archbishop as well.

Posted by Edward Prebble at Tuesday, 2 May 2017 at 8:32pm BST