Comments: New Church of England Website

I presume then that this is why I couldn't follow a google link today to information about ill health / early retirement and pensions for a colleague...

Posted by Adrian Judd at Wednesday, 15 November 2017 at 7:56pm GMT

It feels superficial, like a brochure for an hotel.

Posted by Kate at Wednesday, 15 November 2017 at 10:04pm GMT

I'm pleased to see they've finally de-tabled the Common Worship pages and created a better integration for copying and pasting text.

There are other parts of the website that are still a bit buggy, and it will obviously take a bit of time to work things out. But on the whole this is a major improvement.

The Anglican Church of Australia should certainly pay attention and learn from the C of E website. Maybe Sydney could drop a cool million dollars of back contributions to help...

Posted by Victoriana at Wednesday, 15 November 2017 at 11:02pm GMT

Mr Judd, a similar problem. Maybe someone can help. Retirement on Common Tenure: do I have to go the day of my 70th birthday, or could I stay until the day before my 71st?

Posted by Stanley Monkhouse at Wednesday, 15 November 2017 at 11:15pm GMT

There was a time when companies offered lots of dazzle in webpages with impenetrable code. I just plodded on. I was constantly told I was out of date and how interactive things could become. Now, the mobile phone has seemingly killed design and variety except to the simplest big text and scrolling down. I shall plod on. I dislike the menu reduced to the lines to the side, again dropping to big text. The principle of a presented menu is levels and layers and a presented menu with some design describes the site. Wordpress with its cascading style sheets for every device now seems to have taken over, with the blandness that seems to be everywhere. Everything looks the same.

Posted by Pluralist at Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 12:56am GMT

Stanley, my understanding is that you can indeed stay in post until the eve of your 71st birthday if you so desire.
Of course, if you had your living before they changed the rules (possibly c. 1975) then you can stay until the day you are called to a greater glory.
In a previous parish one of my predecessors was inducted in the early 1950s and he eventually threw in the towel when he was on the cusp of 90.

Posted by Father David at Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 6:31am GMT

"One of the consequences of the redesign is that many old links no longer work"

This is hardly difficult to get right. Since performance is not of the essence for these sorts of historic links, it would be fine to simply have a text file which mapped links on the old site to links on the new site, and then use a RewriteMap or your webserver's moral equivalent [1] to perform the translation. If you cared, and also of course if the ability to remove the embarrassing past were not attractive.

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/rewrite/rewritemap.html

Posted by Interested Observer at Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 7:50am GMT

Yes, you may not hold an office (other than exceptionally) when you are "over 70" - which you're not until you reach 71.

Posted by Richard at Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 11:53am GMT

I'm sure we'll get used to it, and if it's easier to download stuff that's good. BUT, and this is a huge and increasing concern for me with only one functioning eye, and that glaucomatous and with cataract, I wish the print was blacker. The contrast could be better. Still, there are many worse websites as far as that is concerned, the worst for me being grey on white, or white on grey, Crazy.

Posted by Stanley Monkhouse at Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 1:39pm GMT

'Marrying in church is personal, meaningful and spiritual just as you want it to be. Churches are special and unique places to get married in - the prayers, promises and the whole service of celebration become part of your marriage, on the day itself and beyond.'

So inviting -- yet in fact this is a highly restricted service -- as we know...

Posted by Laurie Roberts at Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 4:09pm GMT

Stanley Monkhouse and Father David:

The guidance found at https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2017-10/ac-age-limit-measure-guidance-for-website-october-2017_0.pdf ( http://tinyurl.com/y8t2uguk ) and especially at Annex 1 indicates that the introduction of Common Tenure did not alter the provisions of the Ecclesiastical Offices (Age Limit) Measure 1975 which can be found at https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukcm/1975/2/section/1 ( http://tinyurl.com/y7yxsf2z ). This states at Section 1 sub-section 3: "Subject to the following provisions of this Measure, a person who holds an office listed in the Schedule to this Measure shall vacate that office **on the day on which he attains the age of seventy years."** (my emphasis). So it seems to me that to continue beyond your 70th birthday you would need an extension from your bishop.

Posted by RPNewark at Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 4:15pm GMT

@Pluralist

Good points. I'm not sure whether it was designed for the visually impaired or to fulfil the biblical principles enunciated in Galatians 6:11.

Pretty pictures, though.

Posted by Alan T Perry at Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 6:42pm GMT

Thank you RPNewark.

Posted by Stanley Monkhouse at Thursday, 16 November 2017 at 9:46pm GMT

Let us consider the usefulness of this website to a young LGBT person - shall we say, aged 15 - who attends an Anglican Church on Sundays, and who feels lonely and misunderstood by their family and their peers at church...

Key in "LGBT" in the search box on the home page...

Just 1 result found:

"CofE senior manager recognised in two national LGBT awards

25/02/2016

NEWS / A senior manager at the CofE's National Church Institutions based in Westminster has been recognised by two national LGBT award bodies."

Click on the title, and all you get is a holding page about "The Communications Team"

Erasure?

Shouldn't there be 'Help' links about where to seek help and support in the Church of England (and beyond) if you are lesbian, if you're gay, or bi, or trans. Couldn't there also be pages about LGBT Anglicans and their experiences, their lives, their joys, their challenges.

In short, a bit more "radical inclusion" instead of this ongoing erasure and marginalisation...

I fear moral cowardice and 'communications' as a control of information mechanism, avoiding at all costs upsetting the conservative visitor to the site (similar thing happens on many diocesan sites).

We are not a problem. We are people in your Church. In *our* Church. This is our lives we're living. We're serving. We're sharing. We are here.

But, oh no, where are we?

Posted by Susannah Clark at Friday, 17 November 2017 at 10:43am GMT

Where do I find General Synod Report of Proceedings. The search does not lead me to them

Posted by Malcolm at Friday, 17 November 2017 at 1:20pm GMT

The worship materials seem helpful, but it is extraordinary (to say the least) to see the "Third Exhortation from The Book of Common Prayer" within the Holy Communion (sic) pages. I think I've misunderstood the Church I have been signed up to.

Posted by Anonymous layperson at Friday, 17 November 2017 at 7:19pm GMT

Because of Susannah's post, I followed up with a search for LGBT on the new website and got the same result. Searching for "same-sex marriage" will yield a ton of articles, mostly negative.

Contrast that with this LGBT search: https://www.episcopalchurch.org/search/site/LGBT
There is a great deal of presence and the vast majority of it is positive.

Posted by Cynthia at Saturday, 18 November 2017 at 5:39am GMT

The "day before 71st birthday" is a common myth that just won't die.

One "attains the age of 70 years" on one's 70th birthday. Automatically out of office on that date, unless extended at the discretion of the BIshop (with the consent of the PCC).

Posted by A Diocesan Registrar at Saturday, 18 November 2017 at 5:34pm GMT

"A Diocesan Registrar", thank you for confirming my reading and understanding of the legislation.

Posted by RPNewark at Monday, 20 November 2017 at 8:53am GMT

If you are having trouble finding stuff at the CofE website, this article may be useful to you

Posted by Simon Sarmiento at Monday, 20 November 2017 at 3:04pm GMT

And if, a whole week later, you are still having trouble finding stuff, here's another useful article

Posted by Simon Sarmiento at Thursday, 23 November 2017 at 10:48pm GMT