Comments: Emma Ineson to be next Bishop of Penrith

If there is ever a reprint of Richard Watson's book then there will now have to be a title change from "Mitred Men in Cumbria".

Posted by Father David at Wednesday, 9 May 2018 at 3:43pm BST

Some good news ! Here we have a story which brightens the spirit in between the gloom, doom, and despondency news which seems to be the norm.

My congratulations to her.

Sqn Ldr Alan Birt
*************************

Posted by Sqn Ldr Alan Birt at Wednesday, 9 May 2018 at 4:34pm BST

Good wishes to Dr Ineson. I hope she enjoys the Cumbrian character, though when I was growing up in the Eden Valley in the 50s and 60s most of the locals were chapel, as was I. If anyone wants a copy of Watson's book, I've finished with mine. As they say in Cumberland (I'm a native) yer cun hev it f'nowt. Email me.

Posted by Stanley Monkhouse at Wednesday, 9 May 2018 at 7:00pm BST

Perhaps the new Bishop of Penrith might like your copy of "Mitred Men of Cumbria" so that she can swot up on all her predecessors prior to her arrival in Cumberland, Westmorland and North Lancashire? Perhaps, most interesting of them all was Herbert Sidney Pelham the last Bishop of Barrow-in-Furness(1926-1944) who "became very much a 'persona' in the southern part of the diocese. So much in fact, that due also to his personal characteristics he became a mini-Diocesan" So, the decision was made to revive the suffragan see of Penrith with the appointment of Grandage Edwards Powell in 1939, Pelham died on 11th March 1944 so, for the duration of most of the Second World War the diocese of Carlisle had two Suffragan bishops. Since 1944 the see of Barrow-in-Furness has been held in abeyance.
When I ministered in the diocese of Carlisle George Hacker was Bishop of Penrith and on a visit to the parish I took him to a local farm for a typical Cumbriam "blow-out" afternoon tea. Following the feast the host Jack Swainson, a Cumbrian character if ever there was one, said - "Bishop, I'll show you the bull!" So, holding up his purple cassock and plodging through the clarts Bishop Hacker was taken to a barn to behold a chest freezer.

Posted by Father David at Thursday, 10 May 2018 at 7:15am BST

Dr Ineson will, I believe, make an excellent choice for bishop. She is warm and empathetic, theological thinker and communicator.
She also has the courage and steel to meet the challenges that she will face. Many will miss her at Trinity but Penrith will be blessed and I hope so will Emma and her family.

Posted by AnotherFrDavid at Thursday, 10 May 2018 at 9:45am BST

David, my memories are of Thomas Bloomer and Cyril Bulley. I have a copy of recollections of Bloomer by Walter Ewbank, but I'm not keen to let that go. It's very amusing. As with the present diocesan, Bulley was transferred from suffragan to diocesan in the same diocese. Like my maternal grandfather in Kirkoswald (Stanley Cranson, butcher), he had a face like a doorknocker. Or possibly a walnut. So it seemed to this adolescent who had recently defected from chapel to church.

Posted by Stanley Monkhouse at Thursday, 10 May 2018 at 9:53am BST

Stanley, it's a very rare event for a suffragan to become diocesan within the same diocese. I remember Archdeacon Walter Ewebank in retirement, he came to my church to officiate at the funeral of Sir John Burgess, he of the Cumberland News. Walter Ewebank was, of course, the nephew of that great ecclesiastical eccentric F A Simpson and contributed a chapter entitled "The Cumberland Connections of F A Simpson" to the book "A Last Eccentric" which was edited by Eric James.During my time in the Carlisle diocese the Diocesan bishop was David Halsey.

Posted by Father David at Thursday, 10 May 2018 at 3:02pm BST

Posted by Laurence Cunnington at Thursday, 10 May 2018 at 3:49pm BST

Mr Cunnington: since I wasn't interested in cricket, football or farming, there was every reason for me to get out of Cumberland as soon as possible. I did. I'm not sure that much has changed, though the Eden Valley is more "Cotswoldised" now than it was then, before a decent rail service and the M6. It pains me to say this, but I suspect that in terms of "radical new Christian inclusion" Dr Ineson will fit in perfectly, both sociologically and ecclesiastically.

Posted by Stanley Monkhouse at Thursday, 10 May 2018 at 7:01pm BST

"I see that Dr Ineson is a supporter of Living Out, the 'No Sex, Please - You're Living with Same-Sex Attraction' group. I doubt, therefore, that the See of Penrith will see much in the way of "radical new Christian inclusion" in the foreseeable future."

Easy to say others should live without companionship or sex when one exempts oneself from those sacrifices. The theology for/against female ordination largely parallels that for same sex marriage: both are against a strict, literal reading of the Bible and rely upon a purposeful reading regarding equality and welcome. I find it hypocritical if a woman reads the Bible purposefully on the point that benefits her ordination or consecration but reverts to a strict, literal reading regarding same sex marriage. Emma's support for living out doesn't alone prove she holds anti-LGBTI views but her appointment certainly raises significant concerns.

Posted by Kate at Friday, 11 May 2018 at 5:54am BST

Kate, arguably the views of a suffragan bishop have less influence than those of the principal of a theological college.

Posted by TP at Friday, 11 May 2018 at 10:20pm BST