The bishops of the Diocese of Toronto are proposing to respond pastorally in the matter of committed same-sex relationships.
See the press announcement: Bishops propose pastoral response to committed same-sex relationships.
See the Draft Discussion Document for Consultation (PDF).
The press statement includes:
The bishops’ proposal in offering a pastoral response is as follows:
- Episcopal permission be given to a limited number of parishes, based on Episcopal discernment, to offer prayers and blessing (but not the nuptial blessing) to same-sex couples in stable, long-term, committed relationships, as an extension of the current pastoral norms.
- Episcopal guidelines on the nature of the prayers/blessing will be established. A particular rite will not be authorized.
- Episcopal permission for blessings will be required.
- Evaluation of this pastoral response will be undertaken after one year.
- No parish or clergy will be required to participate.
- A Bishop’s Commission will be formed to create the guidelines, monitor activity and review.